Certificate in Disaster Risk Reduction in Emergencies
Africa Training Institute is pleased to announce a Certificate Course in Disaster Risk Reduction in Emergencies. This is both an online and Distance Learning Course, which starts 1st of every month.
Overall Course Overview
Set amidst the context of global climate change and population growth, the number of natural and human-made emergencies every year has increased drastically in the past decade. Although floods, earthquakes, droughts, and other natural hazards cannot be prevented, their impact on communities can be limited through disaster risk reduction (DRR) practices.
You will learn the concept and practice of reducing disaster risks through systematically analyzing and managing the causal factors of disasters. For example, the course examines reducing exposure to hazards, lessening vulnerability of people and property, wisely managing land and the environment, or improving preparedness for adverse events.
By the end of the course you will be able to:
- Describe the components of disaster risk management;
- Demonstrate an understanding of the humanitarian context and underlying principles that inform disaster risk reduction;
- Conduct a risk analysis that effectively identifies hazards, capacities and vulnerabilities;
- Identify community vulnerability and capacities to deal with natural hazards;
- Identify the stages of disaster management cycle and appropriate DRR activities at each stage;
- Understand ways of strengthening the participation of local aid workers and different organizations in overall mechanisms of disaster risk reduction;
- Build collaborative partnerships and effectively coordinate DRR activities with key
- Monitor and evaluate risk reduction impacts of programmes
- Effectively navigate the resources relating to DRR and resilience that can inform activities
Describe the importance of using a participatory approach throughout the disaster
The Following are the Key Thematic Areas Participants Will Cover:
Basic Disaster Management Terms and Concepts
Community Based Disaster Risk Management (CBDRM) Framework for DRR
Introduction to Community Participatory Tools and Techniques
Organizing and Conducting Participatory Risk Assessments
Planning DRR Strategies appropriate to the Context
Monitoring and Evaluating the impact of DRR Strategies
How to Incorporate DRR into Various Humanitarian Sectors
- All materials are made available through Online or Distance Learning Approaches;
- Approximately 5-6 hours time commitment of your time per week;
- At your own time schedule, no live participation needed;
- Weekly Feedback from committed instructors
- Participants are expected to submit weekly assignments electronically to earn Certificate of Completion.
Participants will need to use email, upload and download word docs, PowerPoint files and PDFs, and post on the discussion board or send assignments by email. If you do not have internet speed sufficient to download materials, an offline DVD or hard copies course may be the right alternative for you. Materials Provided: Online delivery of curriculum materials, exercises and templates.
After they have read the material for each unit, students are expected to test their own learning by completing relevant exercises and tasks.
In order to demonstrate their understanding of the course content, students will be required to submit three assignments.
Course Fee: USD 500
Learn New Skills For an Evolving World
Learn at your own pace, with flexible and personalised training courses designed to build your confidence and help you thrive.