Africa Training Institute is pleased to announce a Certificate Course in Essentials in Humanitarian Practice. This is both an online and Distance Learning Course, which starts 1st of every month.
Overall Course Overview
Are you ready for the realities of relief work? Essentials of Humanitarian Practice will give you an insight into life working in the field. This workshop also aims to increase your understanding of the characteristics of emergencies induced by natural disasters and conflict and the requirements for an effective humanitarian response. You will learn how to work in a team in an emergency environment and identify individual responsibilities.
Essentials of Humanitarian Practice will give participants an insight into life working in the field whilst increasing understanding of the characteristics of natural disasters, conflict induced emergencies and the requirements for an effective humanitarian response.
By the end of the course you will be able to:
- Explain the characteristics of natural disasters and complex emergencies;
- Describe the different activities required for a comprehensive response to an emergency situation;
- Analyze the roles and relationships of humanitarian agencies and the people affected by disasters;
- Describe and apply international legal instruments and humanitarian principles to a humanitarian response;
- Discuss potential impacts and dilemmas associated with humanitarian responses;
- Demonstrate an understanding of the key skills and personal attributes required for an effective humanitarian response;
- Apply skills of teamwork, coordination, communication and cultural sensitivity in a simulation environment.
The Following are the Key Thematic Areas Participants Will Cover:
The Concept of Humanitarian Principles
The International Humanitarian System
The Potential Impacts and Dilemmas of Humanitarian Responses
- All materials are made available through Online or Distance Learning Approaches;
- Approximately 5-6 hours time commitment of your time per week;
- At your own time schedule, no live participation needed;
- Weekly Feedback from committed instructors
- Participants are expected to submit weekly assignments electronically to earn Certificate of Completion.
Participants will need to use email, upload and download word docs, PowerPoint files and PDFs, and post on the discussion board or send assignments by email. If you do not have internet speed sufficient to download materials, an offline DVD or hard copies course may be the right alternative for you. Materials Provided: Online delivery of curriculum materials, exercises and templates.
After they have read the material for each unit, students are expected to test their own learning by completing relevant exercises and tasks.
In order to demonstrate their understanding of the course content, students will be required to submit three assignments.
Course Fee: USD 500
Learn New Skills For an Evolving World
Learn at your own pace, with flexible and personalised training courses designed to build your confidence and help you thrive.