Certificate in Introduction to Humanitarian and Relief Work
Africa Training Institute is pleased to announce a Certificate Course in Introduction to Humanitarian and Relief Work Course. This is both an online and Distance Learning Course, which starts 1st of every month.
Overall Course Overview
The basic idea of humanitarian assistance—delivering medicine, food, and other supplies to relieve suffering and save lives—appears to be a simple one. Yet, there is a serious debate between different humanitarian organizations, official donors, governments, and the United Nations regarding the operational approach to the delivery of aid that ought to be adopted.
In recent years, harmful side effects of humanitarian aid, such as the strengthening of the grip of armed groups over the population, various forms of aid diversion, and the fostering of dependency among beneficiaries, have been widely discussed. In the starkest cases, some humanitarian organizations have made the decision to withdraw from crises altogether because, in their judgment, continuing their operations on the ground in the particular political environment would do more harm than good to civilians in need.
This online course is an essential introduction for anyone interested in a career in the humanitarian sector. You will learn first-hand experiences from individuals who have been involved in humanitarianism, learn about the nature of humanitarian relief, and look at the skills you have to bring to the sector.
By the end of the course you will be able to:
- Understand how the humanitarian sector operates;
- Have questioned and learnt from experienced humanitarian workers;
- Be able to explain how the humanitarian sector works;
- Have further insight into your own motivations for entering the sector;
- Know how to make contact with key agencies;
- Have identified what to do next and how to go about it;
The Following are the Key Thematic Areas Participants Will Cover:
The Disaster Cycle
Codes and Standards in Humanitarianism
Humanitarianism in Practice
Employment, Volunteering, Internship and Training Resources and Opportunities
The Humanitarian Sector
Personal Stories and Experiences
- All materials are made available through Online or Distance Learning Approaches;
- Approximately 5-6 hours time commitment of your time per week;
- At your own time schedule, no live participation needed;
- Weekly Feedback from committed instructors
- Participants are expected to submit weekly assignments electronically to earn Certificate of Completion.
Participants will need to use email, upload and download word docs, PowerPoint files and PDFs, and post on the discussion board or send assignments by email. If you do not have internet speed sufficient to download materials, an offline DVD or hard copies course may be the right alternative for you. Materials Provided: Online delivery of curriculum materials, exercises and templates.
After they have read the material for each unit, students are expected to test their own learning by completing relevant exercises and tasks.
In order to demonstrate their understanding of the course content, students will be required to submit three assignments.
Course Fee: USD 500
Learn New Skills For an Evolving World
Learn at your own pace, with flexible and personalised training courses designed to build your confidence and help you thrive.