The Nature and Impact of Emergencies
The Role and Qualities of the Manager in a Humanitarian Response
Leadership and Communication Skills
Securing Funding and Financial Management
Project Planning using Log Frames
Establishing and Developing Teams and Individuals
Remote and Distant Management
Accountability, Coordination and Collaboration
Conflict Management and Negotiation
Africa Training Institute is pleased to announce a Certificate Course in Managing People and Projects in Emergencies. This is both an online and Distance Learning Course, which starts 1st of every month.
Overall Course Overview
Effective responses to complex emergencies require exceptional management skills. Managing people and projects can be difficult at the best of times, but being able to deliver quality outputs on time and under pressure is even more crucial during the chaos and stress of a complex emergency.
The course focuses on the theoretical and practical application of management tools, techniques and approaches in the field, and on the nature of working in a humanitarian response. Through case studies and presentations, you will be able to put into practice the theoretical knowledge that you gain in the course.
By the end of the course you will be able to:
- Describe the role and characteristics of an effective manager in humanitarian practice;
- List management competencies and examine them in a theoretical and practical humanitarian context;
- Apply techniques for managing people and projects to the humanitarian context;
- Evaluate and reflect on personal performance in project and people management;
- Identify personal strengths and weaknesses in relation to managing people and projects and devise a personal development plan to improve practice
The Following are the Key Thematic Areas Participants Will Cover:
- All materials are made available through Online or Distance Learning Approaches;
- Approximately 5-6 hours time commitment of your time per week;
- At your own time schedule, no live participation needed;
- Weekly Feedback from committed instructors
- Participants are expected to submit weekly assignments electronically to earn Certificate of Completion.
Participants will need to use email, upload and download word docs, PowerPoint files and PDFs, and post on the discussion board or send assignments by email. If you do not have internet speed sufficient to download materials, an offline DVD or hard copies course may be the right alternative for you. Materials Provided: Online delivery of curriculum materials, exercises and templates.
After they have read the material for each unit, students are expected to test their own learning by completing relevant exercises and tasks.
In order to demonstrate their understanding of the course content, students will be required to submit three assignments.
Course Fee: USD 500
Learn New Skills For an Evolving World
Learn at your own pace, with flexible and personalised training courses designed to build your confidence and help you thrive.