Context & Risk Assessment
Threat and Vulnerability
Developing Security Strategies
Field Communication Equipment
Vehicles and Travel Security
Abduction, Detention & Kidnap
Surviving Hostile Environments
Africa Training Institute is pleased to announce a Certificate Course in Personal Security for Humanitarians. This is both an online and Distance Learning Course, which starts 1st of every month.
Overall Course Overview
This is an intensive, dynamic course where you will discuss, learn and apply approaches and measures to improve your personal security when living and working in insecure environments. Personal Security for Humanitarians has been designed specifically from an NGO perspective to provide the most relevant and challenging training for NGO workers.
Essential theory learned in the classroom will immediately be put into practice in real-life simulation exercises, confronting key issues such as roadblocks, abduction, weapons, mines and crossfire. The course is designed to put you under stressful circumstances, preparing you for the worst case-scenario.
The course will introduce a variety of measures to help you reduce the likelihood of security-related incidents taking place and enable you to respond appropriately to situations that could compromise your safety and that of your colleagues.
The course now includes emergency first aid as an optional one day add-on.
By the end of the course you will be able to:
- Explain the importance of understanding your role and the security environment;
- Undertake a context analysis and a personal risk assessment;
- Demonstrate immediate responses to hostile environments;
- Effectively contribute to a security planning process;
- Describe measures to reduce personal and team vulnerability to a range of threats;
- Explain the importance of cultural awareness and sensitivity, team working, interpersonal communications and how diversity impacts on security;
- Demonstrate immediate responses to threats in the operating environment
The Following are the Key Thematic Areas Participants Will Cover:
- All materials are made available through Online or Distance Learning Approaches;
- Approximately 5-6 hours time commitment of your time per week;
- At your own time schedule, no live participation needed;
- Weekly Feedback from committed instructors
- Participants are expected to submit weekly assignments electronically to earn Certificate of Completion.
Participants will need to use email, upload and download word docs, PowerPoint files and PDFs, and post on the discussion board or send assignments by email. If you do not have internet speed sufficient to download materials, an offline DVD or hard copies course may be the right alternative for you. Materials Provided: Online delivery of curriculum materials, exercises and templates.
After they have read the material for each unit, students are expected to test their own learning by completing relevant exercises and tasks.
In order to demonstrate their understanding of the course content, students will be required to submit three assignments.
Course Fee: USD 500
Learn New Skills For an Evolving World
Learn at your own pace, with flexible and personalised training courses designed to build your confidence and help you thrive.