Africa Training Institute is pleased to announce Post-Graduate Diploma in Humanitarian and Development Studies Course. This is both an online and Distance Learning Course, which starts 1st of every month.
Overall Course Overview
Humanitarian disasters will continue to occur around the world, and there is a continuous need for skilled humanitarian workers. In addressing humanitarian crises, the international community has long understood the need to extend beyond providing immediate relief, and to engage with long-term recovery activities and the prevention of similar crises in the future. However, this continuum from short-term relief to rehabilitation and development has often proved difficult to achieve.
This course aims to shed light on the continuum of humanitarian crisis management, particularly from the viewpoint of major bilateral donors and agencies. Focusing on cases of armed conflicts and disasters, the course describes the evolution of approaches and lessons learnt in practice when moving from emergency relief to recovery and prevention of future crises.
The programme responds to the need for qualified workers in disaster relief and development, in government and non-government agencies involved in humanitarian operations and development practice; addressing challenges and opportunities associated with various forms of national and international migration; public health programming, preparedness and response; and building the resilience of vulnerable populations. The
purpose of the programme is for the practical application of specialized theoretical knowledge in humanitarian and development contexts.
- To provide humanitarian workers with the awareness, understanding and skills essential for effective action as individuals and as members of a team.
- To identify and promote standards of good practice in humanitarian responses
- To examine strategies for early warning and prevention of humanitarian crises
- To encourage cooperation and dialogue between governmental, non-governmental, national and international agencies involved in humanitarian action
- To create a more effective strategy between emergency humanitarian interventions and programmes promoting sustainable development.
The Following are the Key Thematic Areas Participants Will Cover:
Public Health in Complex Emergencies (Advanced)
Public Health and Communicable Diseases Control
Emergency and Disaster Management
The Humanitarian Arena
Process towards Stability and Sustainable Development
Minimum Entry Requirements
Common regulations governing Post-Graduate Diplomas shall be applicable
The following shall be eligible for admission
- Holders of a Bachelor's Degree from a recognizable University
- Holders of an equivalent qualification from any other recognizable Institution
- The Entire Duration is one year (2 Semesters)
- Candidates shall be expected to submit 10 Assignments (Continuous Assessment Tests) that account to 70% of their Final Grade, and a Project Paper at the tail end of the course which accounts to 30% of their Final Grade.
Mode of Delivery
Online / Distance Learning
Cost of the Course
USD 1 000
Applicants should fill out a detailed Application form and send it back via e-mail to email@example.com
General Course Contact
The Academics Manager,
Africa Training Institute Studies (ATI)
Learn New Skills For an Evolving World
Learn at your own pace, with flexible and personalised training courses designed to build your confidence and help you thrive.